Thursday, September 16

What is Photography?

"Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."-Ansel Adams

I think I would agree with that quote. Like all arts, the act of creating is paramount in defining the art of photography. There are many arguments against the use of post processing in photography . . . especially in digital photography. Some say it diminishes the art. Some say it's not photography at all. I, myself, believe that processing can, at times, take a photograph to a place it might not have been able to go on its own. If I were better at writing I would try to make my point, instead I'll try to visualize my point. 


This photo was taken by a friend of mine on his trip to Turkey. 




This is the same exact photo that I spent about 6 minutes processing. 

Different strokes for different folks.  

Photo by Clint Bautz

1 comment:

  1. I think most photog people don't like the post processing aspect of digital photography because it diminishes what they feel are "real" photography skills. They sit there in their horse and buggy with their pinhole cameras waiting for the sun to light the shot perfectly. Personally, I think HDR photos look like video game environments - neat but not real. Regardless, nice work Mike.

    ReplyDelete